Recent comments

• anacardic compounds to cure TB 5 March 2014 - 12:27am

Anacardic compounds in cashew pears and raw cashew nuts are very lethal to gram positive bacteria. Therefore it is possible that they would prove useful against tuberculosis since tuberculosis is said to be related to gram positive bacteria. You may see a discussion of their successful use against tooth abscess bacteria in   http://charles_w.tripod.com/tooth.html  . Perhaps you could use your influence to get what would be an easy, safe experiment performed using cashew nuts, cashew pears, or mango fruit. Anacardic acids could even possibly be used to see if they add to the potency of other medicines.
             Isonicotinoylhydrazones were synthesized from a natural product anacardic acid, a major constituent of cashew nut shell liquid. The unsaturated side chain in anacardic acid and its 5-nitro derivative were converted into C8′-aldehydes by oxidative cleavage. C8′-aldehydes are then coupled with isoniazid (an anti-TB drug) to obtain N-isonicotinoyl-N′-8-[(2′-carbohydroxy-3′-hydroxy) phenyl] octanal hydrazone (5) and N-isonicotinoyl-N′-8-[(2′-carbohydroxy-3′-hydroxy-6-nitro) phenyl] octanal hydrazone (6). These isonicotinoylhydrazones of anacardic aldehydes showed potent antimycobacterial activity against Mycobacterium smegmatis mc2155. The synergistic studies of 5 and 6 with isoniazid showed more inhibitory activities than isoniazid alone. Compounds 5 and 6 also showed activity against Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv.  (abstract from  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0223523406003278  )
                                        Sincerely, Charles Weber

• Protein available 24 September 2013 - 8:20pm

There is apparently protein available from MCSG

Source Organism
    Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv
    Target Name
    ndh gene product [Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv]
    Target Category
    biomedical,disease,individual organism,PSI Biology partnership
    Target Rationale
    We identified an inhibitor active on whole cells that appears to target this protein.
    Status
    Project List
    PSI-3
    Database References
    MCSG: APC105972, GenBank: 15608991
  • Hi there, just watched Tom's 17 May 2013 - 11:32am
    Commenting on: Sulfonamides

Hi there, just watched Tom's Google Tech Talk and thought I'd have look around.
    I worked on a project that used sulfonamides and we found the tetrazole was a good bioisostere.  It may reduce the solubility as you'd have 3 aromatics in conjugation but it's a option if you want some variety or to explore how the sulfonamide contributes to binding.
    Craig

• Meeting Recording and Minutes 21 March 2013 - 2:57am

Recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XCfDPBxkcg

Minutes and Discussion: http://www.thesynapticleap.org/node/441

• SOLVED-onamides - perhaps! 28 February 2013 - 5:44pm
    Commenting on: Sulfonamides

Hi Matin,
    As per my tweet/lab book here, it looks like I've got these to chlorinate cleanly with oxalyl chloride - so I should ask, do we want both compounds you've shown here? E.g. the ones based on glycine (NH) and sarcosine (NMe). I can make both here relatively easily, as I have a bit more of the sulfonic acid lying around.

• Alkoloid resolution 25 February 2013 - 12:42am

If a DKR version of this process could be developed (or even using it as it is) there would be no waste in producing (R)-Praziquantel.
    DOI: 10.1021/op300343q

• SAR refresh comment 12 February 2013 - 1:23pm

Sounds fine but would still suggest in the gentlest possible way that it's imprudent to assume 1) or b) untill you accumulate  a substancial collated data set that defines this variance statistically.  The pharmacophore work is also dependant on this as you know.

• SAR refresh - good idea 9 February 2013 - 9:33pm

Sure - I'm in Sydney this week. I'll get together with the local team and get this posted. I think the % inhibition figures are mostly for low-actives, though I do think we are waiting on a very early set of numbers from the Ralph group if memory serves. We're expecting biological data for the latest set of compounds in a week or so from Vicky's group, and that may inform our discussion, so we should wait till then - if the latest compounds (near neighbour thiazolidinone set) are good-looking (since we've made them more soluble) then they become of greater interest. Let'd revisit when we know. I'm not too concerned about resubmitting IC50s, but it's something we could do if there's a consensus that this is necessary. The reasons are: 1) early figures for the first round carried out by several labs were quite consistent, meaning spatial variance (another form of temporal variance..) is low, and b) the labs doing the evaluation have these assays running all the time, meaning there is unlikely to be a lot of variability in set-up. And degradation of compounds over time could presumbly be assessed by NMR. But very happy to vote on it.

• SAR refresh 8 February 2013 - 1:06pm

Inspired by being featured with the gang in Chemistry World  and PubChem pushing towards 50 mill, I would like to catch up with any searching you might think useful.   Can I request an SAR update/refresh  of say the "top ten" ?  Just a simple table would do of SMILES, InChIKey and IC50s.   If you have any outstanding "% inhbition" figures I'd suggest getting IC50s done so they are comparable.  I'd also suggest re-submiting at least your top-five for IC50s, so that time-separated  duplicates will provide some idea of variance.

• Sulfonamoyl chloride 6 January 2013 - 3:18pm

The use of sulfur trioxide pyridine is looking promising. I was wondering have you considered forming the sulfonamoyl chloride and treating this with the pyrrole? Maybe using pyridine or 4-DMAP as a nucleophilic catalyst?

• So what’s going wrong? 3 January 2013 - 10:31pm

I am no pyrrole expert, but I was wondering could your alcohol and other alkylated products be decomposing along these lines?

• (No subject) 3 January 2013 - 12:31am

• (No subject) 3 January 2013 - 12:30am

• (No subject) 3 January 2013 - 12:26am

• Context of late stage gametocyte assay to whole project 15 December 2012 - 2:21am

To see the relevance of this assay to the overall results for the arylpyrroles, see the Story So Far summary. The data provide a clear delineator between original GSK arylpyrroles and the near neighbour set (the iminothiazolidinones).

• Update on the near neighbour thread... 15 December 2012 - 1:44am

The near neighbours were to some extent included in the project, though not all of the structures included above have, to date, been included. See the overall Story so Far for the current situation. Some of these near neighbours were very insoluble, though they did show significant late stage gametocyte activity. The compounds remain of interest.

• Yes - triazole is a simple target 13 December 2012 - 10:05pm
    Commenting on: Project Update

That's right - it's a "well, why not" shot. The S/Ms are simple and the chemistry should be fine. Would be great if you wanted to take a pop at it. See my comment below about the lab book though - important to share the data.

Note that anything you make in the UK can be screened for activity there/in Europe vs. controls - no need to mail to Aus...

• Excellent 13 December 2012 - 10:03pm
    Commenting on: Project Update

That'd be great. Happy to use the online lab notebook to record your data? Even repeats of reactions are useful, but certainly when you get to new/trial things. You could use Matin's, or start your own. Any of the team can help with that. The chlorosulfation seems to be going, but since we don't isolate the intermediate, or at least characterise it properly, it's not clear what's going wrong.

• sE tinkering 13 December 2012 - 12:02pm
    Commenting on: Project Update

I've dropped Matin a comment as the sulfonamides look interesting: We're playing with chlorosulfonation here in Edinburgh. Given that I'm about 12,000 miles away I'll just make some of the fluoroaryl-pyrrole SM myself this weekend.

• Nice, low-priority shot 13 December 2012 - 11:54am
    Commenting on: Project Update

I could tinker with this, since it seems at the moment that my time/resources are very limited. If I'm reading the context right, it would be a low-priority punt on something interesting and it looks reasonably simple - azido-aromatic, propargyl alcohol and 2-hydroxyacetamide give or take some protecting groups? I'd also be able to cut my teeth on the blogging side of things etc.